Pastor P.C. Jacob speaks from Colossians 3:1-4 this Sunday.
"If then you were raised with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ is, sitting at the right hand of God. Set your mind on things above, not on things on the earth.
Set your mind on the things that are above. In the midst of everything that happening in and around us, it’s hard to keep an eternal perspective. Because we were raised with Christ, we should act just as Jesus did when He was resurrected.
1. A Heavenly Mindset Is Developed By A Focus On Our Resurrected Position. Col 3:1, Paul says believers can develop a heavenly mindset by understanding their resurrected position in Christ. Christ is seated at the right hand of God, and we are seated there in Christ. Our exalted position in Christ is not a hypothetical thing or a goal for which we strive. It is an accomplished fact. We are different from the rest of the world because of our position in the heavenly realms, and we must live like it.
2. A Heavenly Mindset Is Developed By A Life Of Continual Discipline. “Since, then, you have been raised with Christ, set your hearts on things above” (Col. 3:1). The word “set” is an active word. It can also be translated as “seek.” This does not happen by accident; it only happens through rigorous discipline. If you are not actively seeking things above, then you won’t be thinking in a heavenly manner.
3. A Heavenly Mindset Is Developed By A Focus On Our Crucified Position. “For you died, and your life is now hidden with Christ in God” (Col. 2:3). Paul says we died with Christ and our life is now hidden in Christ. In order to have a heavenly mindset, we must reckon our death with Christ. But, we must ask the questions, “What exactly did we die to?” and “How did we die?” 1. The Believer Died To Sin. He says to “count” or think about yourself differently. You are dead to sin but alive to God. This means that I can break habitual strongholds of sin. 2. The Believer Died To Self. 3. The Believer Died To This World.
4. A Heavenly Mindset Is Developed By A Focus On Our Hidden Life In Christ. “For you died, and your life is now hidden with Christ in God” (Col. 2:3). We no longer belong to the world, but to Christ; and the sources of life that we enjoy come only from Him. Once we are hidden in Christ, others will only see Jesus Christ and not me. What does Paul mean by our lives being hidden in Christ? From whom are we hidden?
5. A Heavenly Mindset Is Developed By A Focus On Our Future In Christ. “When Christ, who is your life, appears, then you also will appear with him in glory” (Col. 3:4). In order to develop a heavenly mindset, the believer must also understand his future in Christ. Whatever you think about the future will affect how you live today. Your thoughts about the future affect how you live today. The second coming of Christ and our future glory should make us purify our thoughts, our conversations, and our daily endeavors. It transforms us.